Thursday, September 9, 2010

I would really like to watch a threesome some day...

Dude, get your head out of the gutter.  I'm talking about golf here, remember?

All this talk about the Ryder Cup, and the drama over Captain's Picks and World Rankings, got me thinking: What if the golf had a threesome, a three team Ryder Cup with the US, the Euros, and the World/Internationals? 

Why not, the field is plenty deep.  Lets say we field three teams of ten for the Ryder Cup 2.0.  The top 30 players in the world are split fairly evenly: there are 7 Internationals, 11 Americans, and 12 Euros.  

And the Internationals wouldn't have to go far to get their ten- they have ten players in the top forty. And 21 players in the top 75!

Please don't give me the President's Cup crap.  I know you were thinking it.  The President's Cup is just an ugly little sister of the Ryder Cup.  There's just not the same kind of pride involved and its just not that much fun. I don't know why, but we all know that we wish the President's Cup was the Ryder Cup.  I guess its kinda like when we wish the PGA Championship was the U.S. Open. 

But just arguing that the teams would be fair isn't a compelling enough reason to change around the time honored tradition that is the Ryder Cup.  Here's one that is: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It wont make me or you any money, but rest assured that there is a ton of money to be made by bringing the sport into the main stream in Asia, the Middle East, South America and Africa.  Professional golf is now played on every inhabitable continent and some of the most up and coming golf destinations- Dubai, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, Thailand- are outside of the traditional golfing strongholds.  The Asian Tour has even ascended to become a decent rival to the European PGA Tour.

I know I will piss more than a few people for advocating that a nearly century long institution should be changed.  Golf is a game of tradition after all, right?  And we should be playing our rounds with wooden drivers and feather golf balls too.

I call bull shit.  Golf is a global game, lets invite them to play too.

No comments:

Post a Comment