Monday, September 6, 2010

If I was Captain...

Tomorrow morning Corey Pavin will announce his four Captain's Picks for the Ryder Cup.  Before he does, I thought I would share my four picks:

J.B. Holmes:  This guy can hit it a mile and has been very consistent this year.  But most importantly, he has swagger.  A much under-appreciated quality for a Ryder Cup player, team U.S.A. would be well served by the cocky Kentuckian's enthusiasm and demeanor on and off the course.

Bo Van Pelt:  A real dark horse here, but BVP is your classic steady eddy.  He has been a workhorse on tour, playing 24 events and placing in the top-ten six times.  He has the quiet confidence to go toe-to-toe with the Euros without batting an eye.  The U.S. has a lot of boom and bust players on the squad, so BVP's steady play would be a great benefit for the team.

Stewart Cink:  Last year's British Open winner is a natural choice for a Ryder Cup played on a links-style course.  He also had the best finish of any American at this year's Match Play event.

Rickie Fowler: Youth and inexperience be damned.  I know I'll get shit for this pick given that I made the exact opposite argument against Monty picking Molinari, but who cares.  Fowler has a great record at the Walker cup and is a very good player in the weather.  He had tremendous success in his first Open Championship, putting together the lowest round of the day at St. Andrews on both Friday and Sunday.  And he will bring the fire.  He's an excitable kid who will just be fun to watch.

 
Obviously the number one player in the world is not on this list.   I do think that Tiger is a shoe-in for a Captain's pick, but given the choice, I would leave him on the bench. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks good to me but I would swap out BVP for TW. There is no way that Tiger will not be announced as a pick an hour from now. 0 chance.

    ReplyDelete