Monday, October 18, 2010

Groupon Golfing

I dont like paying too much for golf.  But in DC, like every other big city, it is hard to avoid. 

Twilight fees are great but I hate finishing in the dark. 

GolfNow can also provide a nice reprieve, but if your schedule changes, or it rains, it can be hard to get your money back. 

So, like most of the other public course hacks I end up dropping way too much on a round from time to time.  It's just a fact of life when you live in a big city with a limited number of courses.  I do it, but that doesn't mean I like it.

Enter Groupon.  According to their website, "Groupon negotiates huge discounts on popular local goods, services and cultural events. Then [the] offer the deals to thousands of subscribers in a free daily email. The deals are activated only when a minimum number of people agree to buy. So...subscribers get a great deal and the business gets a ton of new customers. Win-win."

I signed up so that I could take my girlfriend on cheap dates: half off dinners, plays, wine tours...etc. 


So imagine my surprise when half off tee times show up at some of the areas best courses.  Jackpot.

I saved over $250 dollars on greens fees at Blue Mash, Raspberry Falls, Bull Run and South Riding just this season. 

My most recent Groupon purchase was for one round at Raspberry Falls, one Round at Old Hickory, and one round at Bull Run.  The cost, $115.  Not bad considering that each of these daily fee courses will set you back between $79 and $109 bucks per round. 

Sure there are always catches to the good deal.  But the fine print isn't really that fine: the groupon is only good on weekdays and weekends and holidays after 11am.  That's it.  Oh, so youre going to force me to sleep in and play golf in the same day??? I'll take it. 

If you are concerned about the "deals being activated," as the website says, let me put your fears to rest.  I have been getting these emails for about a year now and not once have I tried to buy a deal that has fallen through.  And even if you had purchased the deal, Groupon will refund you the amount you spent. 

No gimmicks, no bull shit.  Just a good deal.  Groupon operates in virtually every major metropolitan area in the U.S. and in about two dozen other countries around the globe.  If you want cheap golf, and other cheap things sign up now: http://www.groupon.com/r/uu503004


No comments:

Post a Comment